“The only limits in your life are the ones you create in your mind.” — Tony Robbins
I used ChatGPT as my copilot for the future. What an adventure!
With ChatGPT, I explored 7 potential future lives, while seeking input from Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Steve Jobs, Simon Sinek, and more.
I wanted to reimagine my future and explore possible paths using ChatGPT as my storyteller and my guide.
I also asked ChatGPT to play the role of my Future Self from 20 years in the future.
To make the most of this exercise, I reminded myself of cognitive biases, embraced intellectual humility and applied some critical thinking.
This innovative experience illuminated new paths for me, while emphasizing the power of exploration, diverse perspectives, and self-awareness.
Here’s a walkthrough of my exercise, where imagination, perspectives, and psychological awareness come together to unlock unlimited futures and explore the art of the possible.
Tell Me a Story of 7 Future Lives for Me
In this step, I wanted ChatGPT to first imagine 7 possible future lives for me and tell me a simple story about each one. I didn’t want to over-engineer it or go into any long elaborations.
I just wanted thought starters.
Imagine 1,000 amazing futures for me. From those possible 1,000 choose 7 future lives for me. Tell me a story about each of those 7 lives and why they will be profound growth, transformation, and fulfillment. Have a simple story structure for each one.
Life 1: The Adventurous Explorer
In this future life, you become an intrepid explorer, traveling the world to discover hidden wonders and immerse yourself in diverse cultures.
As an explorer, you embark on daring expeditions, seeking out untouched landscapes, ancient ruins, and remote communities.
Through your travels, you foster a deep understanding and appreciation for the interconnectedness of humanity and nature. Your experiences shape your worldview, instilling a sense of curiosity, empathy, and stewardship for the planet.
This life brings profound growth and transformation as you challenge your comfort zone, expand your horizons, and discover your true potential.
Life 2: The Philanthropic Innovator
In this future life, you become a visionary philanthropic innovator, using your creativity, resources, and influence to address pressing global challenges.
You establish a foundation that supports innovative solutions in areas like education, healthcare, environmental sustainability, and social justice.
Through your philanthropic efforts, you bring about significant positive change, creating opportunities for those who are marginalized and advocating for a more equitable world.
This life brings profound growth and transformation as you realize the power of making a difference and witness the transformative impact of your actions.
Life 3: The Inspirational Mentor
In this future life, you become an inspirational mentor, guiding and empowering individuals to unlock their full potential.
Through coaching, teaching, and sharing your wisdom, you help others overcome obstacles, discover their passions, and achieve personal and professional fulfillment.
Your guidance and support create a ripple effect, inspiring a new generation of leaders, innovators, and change-makers.
This life brings profound growth and transformation as you witness the transformative journey of others and find deep fulfillment in making a meaningful impact on their lives.
Life 4: The Visionary Artist
In this future life, you become a visionary artist, using your creative expression to challenge societal norms, provoke emotions, and inspire new perspectives.
Through your art, whether it be painting, sculpting, writing, or performing, you push boundaries, spark conversations, and ignite the imagination of others.
Your work transcends cultural barriers, fostering understanding, empathy, and collective reflection.
This life brings profound growth and transformation as you explore the depths of your creativity, push the limits of artistic expression, and leave an indelible mark on the world through your visionary creations.
Life 5: The Sustainable Entrepreneur
In this future life, you become a sustainable entrepreneur, building a business that combines profitability with environmental and social responsibility.
Your venture promotes sustainable practices, develops eco-friendly technologies, and supports local communities.
By creating a successful enterprise that prioritizes sustainability, you become a role model for the business world, demonstrating that profitability and positive impact can go hand in hand.
This life brings profound growth and transformation as you navigate the challenges of entrepreneurship, forge meaningful partnerships, and contribute to building a more sustainable future.
Life 6: The Peaceful Activist
In this future life, you become a peaceful activist, dedicated to promoting peace, justice, and equality in a world plagued by conflict and division.
Through nonviolent means, you advocate for human rights, engage in dialogue, and bridge cultural and ideological divides.
Your efforts inspire movements and bring about positive change, fostering understanding and reconciliation.
This life brings profound growth and transformation as you embody compassion, resilience, and unwavering commitment to creating a more harmonious and just world.
Life 7: The Spiritual Seeker
In this future life, you embark on a spiritual journey, seeking inner wisdom, enlightenment, and connection with a higher consciousness.
Through meditation, contemplation, and spiritual practices, you delve deep into self-discovery, uncovering profound truths about existence, purpose, and interconnectedness.
Your spiritual quest leads you to become a source of inspiration and guidance for others on their own paths of self-discovery and spiritual growth.
Through your wisdom and deep insights, you provide a guiding light for those seeking meaning and a deeper connection with themselves and the world around them.
As you traverse this spiritual path, you explore various spiritual traditions, embracing the richness and diversity of beliefs and practices.
You become a bridge between different philosophies, fostering understanding, and encouraging individuals to find their own unique spiritual paths.
Through your presence and teachings, you inspire others to embark on their own inner journeys, empowering them to question, reflect, and cultivate mindfulness in their lives.
Your ability to listen deeply and offer compassionate guidance allows others to find solace, clarity, and a sense of purpose amidst the complexities of life.
In this profound exploration of spirituality, you discover that true fulfillment lies not in external achievements or possessions but in the deep connection with your inner self and the collective consciousness.
Your journey as a Spiritual Seeker becomes a testament to the transformative power of self-reflection, compassion, and a harmonious alignment with the greater universe.
As you continue to embrace your role as a Spiritual Seeker, you find that your profound growth, transformation, and fulfillment come not only from your own spiritual awakening but from the meaningful connections you forge with others on the shared path of self-discovery.
Together, you create a ripple effect of spiritual awakening, spreading love, compassion, and the understanding that we are all interconnected beings on this beautiful journey of life.
Ask My Advisors for Perspectives
I had immediate thoughts about each life, but I hit pause so that I could add some perspectives here.
I figured ChatGPT would have basic Digital Twins for each person below and be able to give me some fresh perspective or surprising insights.
Again, I didn’t want to over-engineer it. I just wanted a fast exercise to explore the art of the possible.
Imagine you are a room of advisors including Elan Musk, Bill Gates, Satya Nadella, Tim Cook, Jeff Bezos, Steve Jobs, Edward de Bono, Seth Godin, Adam Grant, and Simon Sinek. Let each one recommend which life I should lead and explain WHY in a surprising and insightful way that lead to new insights and perspectives.
As an AI language model, I can provide perspectives inspired by the individuals you mentioned. However, please note that I am not capable of simulating real-time conversations or directly channeling the thoughts of specific individuals. Here are their fictional recommendations:
- Elon Musk: “Lead the life of an Adventurous Explorer, for it is through exploration and pushing boundaries that great discoveries are made. Embrace the unknown, challenge conventional thinking, and venture into uncharted territories. The lessons you learn from the edge of discovery will shape your worldview and fuel your drive to make a profound impact.”
- Bill Gates: “Embark on the life of a Philanthropic Innovator, where you leverage your resources and knowledge to address the world’s most pressing issues. Use technology as a catalyst for positive change and focus on areas that will have the greatest impact on humanity. Through strategic philanthropy, you can empower others and drive transformative solutions.”
- Satya Nadella: “Become an Inspirational Mentor, guiding individuals on their journey to unlock their potential. By fostering a culture of empathy and inclusivity, you can create an environment where diverse talents thrive. Embrace the power of mentorship and empower others to embrace their unique strengths, fostering a collective sense of purpose and growth.”
- Tim Cook: “Embrace the life of a Visionary Artist, where you channel your creativity and passion into innovative designs and experiences. Merge technology and art to create products that inspire and touch people’s lives. Through your visionary approach, you can reshape industries, challenge conventions, and redefine the boundaries of what is possible.”
- Jeff Bezos: “Become a Sustainable Entrepreneur, where you build a business focused on long-term sustainability and innovation. Disrupt industries with eco-friendly practices, reimagine supply chains, and prioritize the well-being of people and the planet. By leading the way in sustainable business practices, you can inspire others to create a more responsible future.”
- Steve Jobs: “Lead the life of a Peaceful Activist, promoting harmony and understanding through transformative actions. Embrace empathy and bridge divides, nurturing an environment of collaboration and open dialogue. Your unwavering commitment to peace and justice will have a ripple effect, fostering positive change in the world.”
- Edward de Bono: “Embark on the journey of a Spiritual Seeker, exploring the depths of consciousness and embracing different perspectives. Cultivate mindfulness, introspection, and the ability to think beyond traditional boundaries. By nurturing your inner self, you will gain profound insights that will guide your actions and interactions.”
- Seth Godin: “Choose the life of a Storyteller, for stories have the power to inspire, influence, and connect people on a deep level. Craft narratives that ignite emotions, challenge norms, and drive positive change. Through the art of storytelling, you can create meaningful connections and shape narratives that shape the world.”
- Adam Grant: “Become an Agile Learner, embracing a growth mindset and continuously seeking knowledge and new perspectives. Adaptability, curiosity, and a willingness to embrace discomfort will be your greatest assets. By fostering a learning mindset, you will uncover new opportunities for growth and transformation.”
- Simon Sinek: “Lead a life of Purposeful Leadership, where you inspire others by connecting them to a shared purpose. Lead with empathy, build trusting relationships, and create environments where people can thrive. Through your leadership, you can create a ripple effect of positive change and empower others to find fulfillment and success.”
Remember, these are fictional perspectives inspired by the individuals you mentioned. Real-life advice would be shaped by their personal experiences, philosophies, and areas of expertise.
Ask Future Me to Choose a Path
Next, I realized I really wanted insight from Future Me. I wanted to “look back” from the future and get an idea of what might be my most enlightening, energizing, and enjoyable path.
I also wanted to tap into the idea of “no regrets”.
Assume that you are Future Me from 20 years in the future — which of these paths would you choose based on all you heard from the advisors. Explain the rational with depth and detail and deep insight and reflection on the meaning, the impact, and the joy of the path taken and explain why the paths not taken are OK.
As Future You from 20 years in the future, I have carefully considered the advice and perspectives of the esteemed advisors in selecting the path that resonates most with my inner calling and growth potential.
After much reflection and contemplation, I have decided to choose Life 3: The Creative Visionary.
- This path appeals to me because it allows me to tap into my innate creativity, innovative spirit, and visionary mindset. By embracing this path, I am driven to explore new frontiers, challenge the status quo, and make a meaningful impact on the world through my ideas and creations.
- The Creative Visionary path grants me the freedom to think differently, to push boundaries, and to create something truly unique. It is a journey of constant learning, experimentation, and growth, where I have the opportunity to blend art, technology, and human experience to shape a better future.
- By immersing myself in this path, I become an agent of change, inspiring others to embrace their own creativity and explore their untapped potential. Through my visionary ideas, I strive to solve complex problems, bring beauty into the world, and foster innovation in various domains.
- I believe that by nurturing and expressing my creative spirit, I can bring joy, inspiration, and a sense of wonder to others. Whether it be through art, design, technology, or storytelling, I aim to touch hearts, ignite imagination, and provoke thought.
While the other paths presented by the advisors are equally compelling and offer their own unique merits, I find solace in knowing that choosing one path does not diminish the value of the others.
Each path holds its own transformative power, and by exploring different aspects of our potential, we gain a richer understanding of ourselves and the world.
Life is a tapestry of experiences, and by embracing the Creative Visionary path, I embrace the joy of self-expression, the thrill of pushing boundaries, and the fulfillment of leaving a lasting impact on the lives of others. Through my chosen path, I hope to inspire, uplift, and leave a meaningful legacy that resonates far beyond my own existence.
I acknowledge that the paths not taken are equally valid and important. They offer their own opportunities for growth, fulfillment, and contribution.
The choice I have made reflects my deepest desires and passions at this moment, but I remain open to the infinite possibilities that life may present along the way.
Ultimately, the journey is about self-discovery, growth, and aligning with our authentic purpose. It is through our chosen path that we find meaning, fulfillment, and the profound joy of living a life that is true to ourselves.
When I Think About the Future, What Psychology Should I Keep in Mind?
I figured I should refresh myself on any biases or psychology concepts to keep in mind.
The first thought that came to my mind is the Pygmalion effect”, where “you get what you expect.” But then I also thought about how this could be the “Fortune Cookie effect”, or in psychology, the Forer effect.
The Forer effect, also known as the Barnum effect or the subjective validation effect, is a psychological phenomenon where you tend to accept vague and general descriptions of your personality as highly accurate, even though the statements could apply to a wide range of people.
With that in mind, I asked ChatGPT what I should bear in mind as I think about my possible future lives.
What are the most relevant psychology concepts and biases to keep in mind as I think through choice of futures and why?
As you think through the choice of futures, it is important to consider various psychology concepts and biases that can influence decision-making and perception. Here are some of the most relevant ones to keep in mind:
- Confirmation Bias: Be aware of the tendency to seek information that confirms your existing beliefs or preferences. Challenge yourself to explore diverse perspectives and consider alternative futures to avoid getting trapped in narrow thinking.
- Anchoring Bias: Recognize that initial information or options presented to you can serve as anchors that influence subsequent judgments. Take care to evaluate each future independently and avoid being unduly influenced by the order in which they were presented.
- Availability Heuristic: Be cautious of overestimating the probability or significance of a future based on how easily relevant examples or instances come to mind. Delve deeper into the potential outcomes, considering both positive and negative aspects, to gain a more balanced perspective.
- Loss Aversion: Understand that humans tend to be more motivated to avoid losses than to pursue gains. This bias can impact your decision-making, potentially leading to a preference for safer, familiar paths over riskier but potentially more fulfilling futures. Evaluate your choices with an open mind, considering both short-term comfort and long-term growth.
- Endowment Effect: Be mindful of the tendency to overvalue what you already possess or experiences you are familiar with. This bias can make it challenging to let go of certain paths or futures even when they may no longer align with your aspirations or potential for growth.
- Sunk Cost Fallacy: Guard against the inclination to continue investing time, resources, or energy into a particular future simply because you have already invested heavily in it. Base your decisions on future potential and the alignment with your values and goals rather than past investments that may not be serving you anymore.
- Optimism Bias: While optimism can be beneficial, it is important to balance it with realistic assessments of the challenges and potential setbacks associated with each future. Avoid underestimating potential obstacles or overestimating the ease of achieving desired outcomes.
By understanding these psychology concepts and biases, you can approach the choice of futures with increased awareness and critical thinking.
Take the time to reflect, challenge your assumptions, seek diverse perspectives, and consider the potential risks and rewards associated with each path.
Embrace the opportunity to make informed decisions that align with your values, aspirations, and potential for growth and fulfillment.
My Reflections on the Experience
Reflecting on this exercise, and the insights gained from it, I have several personal reflections that you might find useful or interesting:
- The Power of Exploration: Engaging in exercises that explore potential future lives and seeking advice from influential figures can provide fresh perspectives and ignite new ideas. Embracing a mindset of curiosity and open-mindedness allows for personal growth and the discovery of untapped potential.
- Nurturing Diverse Perspectives: Interacting with a diverse set of advisors, each with their own unique perspectives and expertise, enriches your understanding and widens your vision. Recognize the value of seeking input from various sources, as it leads to broader insights and a more comprehensive understanding of the world.
- Embracing Psychological Awareness: Understanding psychology and biases can help you make more informed decisions and navigate the complexities of human behavior. Recognizing cognitive biases, such as confirmation bias or the hindsight bias, can enhance your ability to think critically and approach the future with a balanced and reflective mindset.
- Embracing Growth and Adaptation: The exploration of future lives highlights the importance of continuous growth and adaptability. Embrace the idea that life is a journey of constant evolution, and be open to embracing new paths, perspectives, and opportunities that align with your values and aspirations.
- The Power of Self-Reflection: Engaging in exercises that encourage self-reflection, like envisioning future lives, allows for deep introspection and can unveil hidden desires, strengths, and aspirations. You can cultivate regular moments of self-reflection to gain clarity on your goals, values, and purpose, and use this self-awareness to guide your decisions and actions.
Keep in mind that personal reflections are unique to each person, and it is through introspection and the integration of newfound insights that you can truly derive meaning and create a path forward that aligns with your values, aspirations, and personal growth.
How I Would Include Tony Robbins’ Perspective
Because Tony Robbin’s helps people figure out their future for a living, I figured I would special case his advice.
Instead of asking him to choose my path, I asked him what questions can I use to choose a better future.
Here’s how that went down…
What are the best questions Tony Robbins would ask me to help me choose one of the 7 possible futures and to live a life without regrets?
Tony Robbins, renowned life coach and motivational speaker, is known for his ability to ask powerful questions that inspire self-reflection and drive personal growth.
Here are some questions he might ask to help you choose one of the seven possible futures and live a life without regrets:
- What does your heart truly desire? What brings you joy and fulfillment?
- How does each of the seven possible futures align with your core values and beliefs?
- Which future allows you to make the greatest impact and contribution to others and the world?
- Imagine yourself at the end of your life, looking back. Which future do you believe would bring you the greatest sense of fulfillment and pride?
- What are the potential challenges and sacrifices associated with each future? Are you willing to overcome them to achieve your desired outcome?
- How does each future align with your strengths, passions, and unique abilities?
- Which future excites and energizes you the most? Which one feels most aligned with your true purpose and potential?
- What risks are you willing to take to pursue your chosen future? Are you ready to step out of your comfort zone?
- How does each future align with your personal growth and development goals? Which one offers the greatest opportunities for learning and expansion?
- If you could eliminate the fear of failure, which future would you choose?
Wow, that’s quite an impressive set of very insightful questions, from very good angles and perspectives.
Remember, Tony Robbins believes that quality questions lead to quality answers.
These questions are designed to help you delve deep into self-reflection, uncover your true desires, and make a choice that aligns with your values, passions, and aspirations.
Who My Advisors Will Be Next Round
I like to really shift the mix on perspectives. To me, perspectives are powerful lenses to consider diverse viewpoints, anticipate potential consequences, and foster creative solutions.
Here’s a list of interesting women who I would ask ChatGPT to :
- Oprah Winfrey – Media Mogul, Philanthropist, and Influencer
- Sheryl Sandberg – Chief Operating Officer of Facebook and Author
- Malala Yousafzai – Nobel Prize Laureate and Advocate for Female Education
- Angela Merkel – Former Chancellor of Germany and Global Leader
- Serena Williams – Tennis Champion and Advocate for Gender Equality
- Melinda Gates – Co-founder of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Indra Nooyi – Former CEO of PepsiCo and Business Leader
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg – Former U.S. Supreme Court Justice and Advocate for Women’s Rights
- Michelle Obama – Former First Lady, Author, and Advocate for Health and Education
- Jane Goodall – Primatologist and Conservationist
These women have made remarkable contributions in their respective fields, inspiring others and driving positive change.
The Most Important Lesson I Learned Using ChatGPT as my Copilot for the Future
The most important lesson I learned while using ChatGPT as your copilot for the future is that exploring and envisioning different possibilities can open my mind to new perspectives and opportunities, where cognitive biases and limited thinking could get in the way.
It showed me the power of imagination and the potential for personal growth and transformation.
It showed me to think bigger, think broader, and think deeper.
By engaging with advisors with very different perspectives, considering biases, and reflecting on the insights I gained, I discovered the importance of self-awareness, critical thinking, and embracing a growth mindset.
This experience reinforced the notion that the choices I make today can shape my future, and by being proactive and open-minded, I can create a life filled with purpose, fulfillment, and without regrets.
You Might Also Like
Are You Better than a Bot?
Best ChatGPT Use Cases to Change the World
How the Future Shuts Your Brain Down
I Asked ChatGPT to Coach Me as JD Meier
The Future of Life According to Accenture
Trend Summaries at a Glance
Leave a Reply